Monday, March 19, 2012

Freezer Paper Piecing...ugh!

Today I completed the 5th block of the Sew Out Loud QAL.
This block was designed by Charise of Charise Creates.
Her block is called Design Studio and OMG it is just so sweet!
However, it is freezer paper pieced, and I have only done foundation piecing...
Yikes!!!
 It also has y-seams!
Double yikes!!
Thankfully, Charise has  provided a great tutorial on y-seam piecing. So I thought I had better try the y-seam before doing anything else, because if I failed miserably at that, the whole block would be a bust.
Well, it was surprisingly easy...the only darn thing easy!
I'm not sure what the draw is about freezer paper piecing.
Really!
It is obvious that I need a whole lot of practice, or something, before attempting this again.
I kept losing the extremely tiny pieces :-( 
Crap, where is that darn piece anyway....
there is the little sucker...
Then the freezer paper kept slipping and I ended up pulling it off of most pieces and just winging it...
that black thing on top of the neck was supposed to be centered!
*smile*
I am using The Ghastlies to distract everyone from looking too closely at the piecing!
is it working?
So, I finally finished it, after adding extra background fabric to get it to square up...
uh huh, yes I did...
And here she is!
I begged the little Ghastlie girl  for her hammer...
No, no...
I was just going to give the thread spool a whack to straighten it out!!
The little bitch brat got all cranky and wouldn't share...
so, it's crooked forever!
This is one block that I won't be doing a re-do!
As much as I love it!
Thanks Charise for a truly fun and challenging block!
The next block is from verykerryberry! called Vintage Notions. 
Another great block!

5 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

Too cute!

Annie said...

hahaha...when I saw the ghastlies I so was chuckling! Oh, yeah, they worked for distraction all right! I love your sewing machine. You done good girl!

Sana Saroti said...

Thanks for the good laugh! For "just winging it" you did amazing and yes, I am totally distracted buy that cute fabric. I want a skirt like that for grown ups ;-)

Salley said...

Add a free swinging fringed scarf to THAT neck........Too easy! (I hate FP by the way)

Nic said...

Love it! The gastlies are great and really, anything in their household SHOULD be crooked :)

5 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

Too cute!

Annie said...

hahaha...when I saw the ghastlies I so was chuckling! Oh, yeah, they worked for distraction all right! I love your sewing machine. You done good girl!

Sana Saroti said...

Thanks for the good laugh! For "just winging it" you did amazing and yes, I am totally distracted buy that cute fabric. I want a skirt like that for grown ups ;-)

Salley said...

Add a free swinging fringed scarf to THAT neck........Too easy! (I hate FP by the way)

Nic said...

Love it! The gastlies are great and really, anything in their household SHOULD be crooked :)